The Power of Regenerative Medicine
Written by: Soul Focus
The field of medicine is quite complex, especially when it comes to the intricacies of healing the human body, regenerative medicine is flipping the medical community on its head with all of the possibilities. There are various medical treatments that focus on healing by over-prescribing and masking the route cause, but this is not the case with regenerative medicine.
There are many diseases and ailments that can afflict the human body. The form of treatment differs according to the severity of the disease or ailment. Some diseases can lead to the degeneration of bone and tissue and this is where regenerative medicine applies.
So, what is regenerative medicine?
This is a process of replacing; regenerating or engineering human or animal cells back to normal function. These cells could be worn out not only by disease but also by age, injury, or trauma. This process stimulates the body’s repair mechanisms so that previously damaged organs or tissues can heal. But to some extent, the body can sometimes fail to heal itself, and so this kind of medicine allows regeneration of cells in the laboratory then transferring it to the part of the body that requires healing.
Methods used in regenerative medicine include mainly stem cell therapy and tissue grafting. There are various types of tissue grafting which include connective tissue- grafts, pedicle grafts and allograft. Tissue allograft is the process of transplanting tissue from a foreign body which means another person to your body.
This process has been extremely successful and its popularity continues to grow every year. This is because, before the transplant, the tissue goes through rigorous tests. This is to determine the compatibility of the donor with the recipient. Still, it doesn’t mean there have been no cases of allograft rejection. This is why choosing a proper medical facility is paramount to ensure the procedure is well prepared and formal testing is done before the treatment occurs.
In most cases, donated cells could be from people who choose to donate their organs when they die, but living patients can also be donors, especially when there is a need for an allograft bone.
Tissue allograft is described as the best method for healing of skin burns. The treatment is considered as the best permanent way to treat skin burns and severe skin injuries. The healing process could take a fairly short period. Medical professionals indicate that the maximum an allograft wound can take to heal is six months. Benefits of tissue allograft include; much cheaper than alternative procedures, can be used in place of surgery, a faster healing process, and it involves less physical therapy in some cases.
What is Stem Cell Therapy?
Stem cell therapy, a form of the regenerative method has also become popular among patients and medical practitioners. This involves the use of stem cells from the patient’s body or from donors to recipient to treat or prevent a disease or condition.
This consists of the transplanting of the cell from one foreign body to the other. The most common stem-cell transplant is the bone marrow transplant. Stem cells can be derived from a body and can also be generated in a laboratory.
If the process is done right, the stem- cells divide to form cells known as daughter cells which become new by self-renewal or differentiate to become special cells to adapt special functions. This means that stem cells do not die but instead replenish to assume their functions in the body. Stem cell- therapy can be used to treat or manage diseases such as Parkinson’s disease, heart disease, cancer, stroke and skin burns and injuries.
Sources of stem cells include;
- Embryonic stem cells are derived from embryos which are 5 days old
- Perinatal stem cells-researchers believe that amniotic fluid, as well as the umbilical cord, contains stem cells
- Blood and blood vessels
- Bone marrow and skeletal muscles
Benefits of stem -cell therapy
- Minimal chances of transmission of non-communicable diseases.
- Can be performed in an outpatient facility, so you don’t have to worry about spending the night in the hospital.
- Diminished chances of rejection like in organ donation situation where your body may reject organ, forcing you to undergo another surgery.
- Does not use anesthesia. If you hate the thought of being unconscious, this will be perfect for you.
- Is much more cost-effective as compared to surgery and also involves a shorter healing period.
- Stem cell therapy has also contributed much to the treatment and management of cardiovascular disease.
- Replaces damaged cells so that you can be sure of better health and recovery.
- Regulates the immune system
The benefits are not limited to these since there are many others which researchers have been trying to establish.
What to consider when thinking about Regenerative Medicine
The cost of stem cell therapy can be quite fair as compared to surgery, but it is good to take note that depending on the part of the body affected, the cost may vary.
Before you check in to a medical environment, you should have a checklist like is the facility registered or accredited, is the place clean and how does the facility responds to an emergency. A safe medical environment comes with its benefits and should be your #1 consideration.
- A safe medical environment reduces the chances of patient harm or the occurrence of malpractice in the part of the practitioner.
- Reduces the chances of new infections contracted from the healthcare facility.
- Reduces chances of diagnostic errors.
- You are covered by the health guidelines in case of an error if the facility adheres to the set medical practice guideline.
- A safe environment guarantees that you will get the right treatment. Personnel in those places know exactly what to do to keep you safe.
- You are also guaranteed after-treatment care such as wound dressing and regular check-ups.
It’s essential that you confirm the qualifications of your Healthcare provider before going ahead with the stem cell therapy. Make sure they have rendered services in this specific field and have all the knowledge they need about regenerative medicine. You can also do some research on your own before the therapy so that you will be at ease during the process.
Request to schedule your consultation here if you think that you may be interested in regenerative medicine as a means to heal as an alternative to surgery.